LYRA ETNA SL (Currently shipping "Single Layer" low-impedance, low-output model)
This is a special, built-to-order, version of Etna for expert users with very high-gain, extra low noise phono stages, or alternatively a step-up transformer designed for phono cartridges of 2 - 3 ohms or less.
Most users (and phono stages) will benefit from the regular Etna with much higher output and considerably more energy; resulting in a much better signal-to-noise ratio. If you are in doubt about which version of Etna that will work best in your system, please go with the regular Etna.
The Etna SL may provide extra pure and pristine sound from an audio system that is optimized for a low-impedance, low-output cartridge. However, this may be accompanied with a lesser level of energy and power.
Lyra nevertheless has decided to offer SL models, as built-to-order at a 10% surcharge, for those who are confident that they can extract the benefits from such a low-output MC phono cartridge.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR ETNA SL
• Designer: Jonathan Carr
• Builder: Yoshinori Mishima (final build, testing), Akiko Ishiyama (preliminary build)
• Type: Medium weight, medium compliance, low-impedance, low-output moving coil cartridge
• Stylus: Lyra-designed long-footprint variable-radius line-contact nude diamond (3um x 70um profile, block dimensions 0.08 x 0.12 x 0.5mm), slot-mounted
• Cantilever system: Diamond-coated solid boron rod with short one-point wire suspension, directly mounted into cartridge body via high-pressure knife-edge system
• Coils: 2-layer deep, 6 N high-purity copper, chemically-purified high purity iron X-shaped former, 1.52 ohm self-impedance, 1.9μH inductance
• Output voltage: 0.25 mV@5 cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results)
• Frequency range: 10 Hz-50 kHz
• Channel separation: 35 dB or better at 1 kHz
• Compliance: Approx. 12 X10 cm/dyne at 100 Hz
• Vertical tracking angle: 20 degrees
• Cartridge body: Multi-material (titanium, duralumin, bronze, stainless steel) self-clamping construction with reduced-surface higher-pressure headshell contact area, predominately non-parallel shaping, phase-interference resonance-controlling mechanisms, body threaded for mounting screws
• Cartridge mounting screws: 2.6 mm 0.45 pitch JIS standard
• Distance from mounting holes to stylus tip: 9.52mm
• Cartridge weight (without stylus cover): 9.2g
• Recommended tracking force: 1.65 ~ 1.78g (1.72g recommended)
• Recommended load directly into MC phono input: Determine by listening,
• Recommended load via step-up transformer: Use a step-up transformer designed for 2 - 3 ohms cartridge impedance. The transformer output must be connected to standard 47kohm MM-level RIAA input, preferably via short, low-capacitance cable
• Recommended tonearms: High-quality pivoted or linear tangential tonearms with rigid bearing(s), adjustable anti-skating force, preferably VTA