Model T Active Loudspeaker
The Model T Active Loudspeaker combines decades of research into acoustics, electronics, amplification, and state of the art components to recreate your recordings with stunning realism. Fully active loudspeaker systems dispense with passive crossovers found in conventional loudspeakers in favor of inserting the crossovers before the amplifier. The benefits include increased flexibility of filter shapes, the ability to make fine-grained adjustments resulting in improved on and off axis response (these are often competing objectives in passive loudspeakers), direct coupling of the amplifier to the driver (avoiding losses inherent in passive crossovers), and higher SLP with lower distortion.
The Model T Active Loudspeaker was built to be exceptionally high quality and affordable, while bringing superior design to the table. New driver designs, enclosure vibration analysis, and anechoic chamber testing all went into creating an amazing product. A “state of the art” audio system involves what some refer to as a “suspension of disbelief”. This means the playback system transcends the recorded medium and transports you to a live venue. You forget it’s a recording and believe you are there at the live performance. Our goal with the Bryston Model T Active loudspeaker is to provide our customers with a superior level of “disbelief”.
The Model T Active Loudspeaker requires the BAX-1 Active DSP Crossover and three amplifier channels per speaker. We recommend two 21B³ three channel amplifiers (one for each loudspeaker) to create a complete system. This combination will create an optimum listening experience. A superbly designed active loudspeaker system can bring higher resolution and dynamic control to your audio system. The differences are far from subtle and the Bryston Active Loudspeaker System takes the performance to the next level.
- High levels of SPL without distortion or compression
- Unit to Unit matching
- Custom designed drivers with die-cast aluminium baskets, substantial magnet assemblies, and custom motor systems
- Wide dispersion design
- Engineered to prevent cabinet resonances
- Requires three amplifier channels per speaker
- Requires BAX-1 Active DSP Crossover
- Extra Large Out-Riggers - Equipped with larger spikes with adjustable height (via Allen key).
- I understand that it took a couple of years to build, test, retest, voice and tweak the Model Ts which, with the cooperation of Axiom, was James Tanner’s project. Tanner’s regular (mundane) job is as marketing VIP for Bryston and, I assume, he took a lot of his spare time to bring his baby to fruition. Time well spent James. The result, the way I see it, is an outstanding design that basically gets out of the way of the music (and its playback electronics) and allows one to listen beyond the equipment. (The Inner Ear) Read Review...
- In my time with Bryston’s Model T, I came to appreciate and understand what James Tanner had set out to accomplish. For all intents and purposes, I believe he has succeeded. The Model T is a balls-to-the-wall, highly capable floorstander that offers tremendous levels of control, dynamic ability, and class-leading bass performance. (Aron Garrecht - SoundStage! HiFi) Read Review...
Bryston’s Active Loudspeakers come even closer to the ideal power response without sacrifices to on-axis response. Power response is the weighted measure of a loudspeaker’s total energy. It is not sufficient to simply design for flat on-axis response. By ensuring that power response tracks the more narrowly defined listening window closely, we can ensure that the room’s contribution to the final sound is beneficial, not destructive. Bryston’s Active Loudspeakers leverage the incredible power of our DSP engine to enable our engineers to optimize both listening window and sound power at once. These are often competing ideals. Now listeners can have truly neutral in-room response across the whole spectrum.
Select your Speakers
Bryston offers three models of Active Loudspeaker plus 3 more T-Rex Active models. Each loudspeaker is expertly constructed in Canada and finished by talented craftsmen in the fine wood of your choosing. No internal crossover is present, Each driver section is powered directly from the attached amplifier. Whichever you pick, expect realistic tone, lifelike three dimensional space, and incredible clarity. All models are protected by Bryston’s legendary 20 year warranty.
Pick your Power
Unlike with so many other active loudspeaker systems, with our models amplification is more than simply an afterthought. Each loudspeaker requires three amplifier channels—one for high frequency, one for midrange, and one for low frequency. A compact and attractive solution is our 24B³ Cubed Series model which contains 300 watts per bass section plus four more 75 watt channels for the midrange and high frequencies. For more power, use a pair of 21B³. Each of these three channel ‘mono blocks’ has a 600 watt bass channel plus two 300 watt MF and HF channels. Or, leverage Bryston’s extensive catalogue and build your own amplifier complement.
Command the Crossover
Inside the all new BAX-1 DSP Crossover lies the magic that elevates the system to a new ultimate performance. The BAX-1 receives line level analog audio from your preamp and converts it to digital with exacting precision. Like a traditional crossover, bands are divided, but response is also corrected. Our engineers use the powerful DSP engine to precisely neutralize system response errors that would otherwise go uncorrected. Low, midrange, and high frequency outputs are generated which then feed 6 amplifier channels. Do you want a custom sound? You can even custom tailor the bass response to match your room using the on-board web based user interface.
- Frequency Response: 25Hz to 20Khz (+/- 3dB)
- Impedance: 4 Ohms (nominal)
- Sensitivity: 89 dB SPL @ 1 meter with 1 watt (anechoic)
- Maximum SPL: 118 dB SPL @ 1 meter
- Recommended Power: 10 watts to 500 watts RMS
- Tweeter: Dual 1.0"
- Midrange: Dual 5.25"
- Woofer: Triple 8.0
- 52.5” H x 10.5” W x 16.5” D
- 1334mm H x 267mm W x 419mm D
3 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
The music they reproduce is full-sounding, very powerful with a lot of drive, and the music has a weight and a density, with real substance to it. The sound is very warm, musical and natural sounding. It is never harsh, clinical, nor aggressive or irritating.
In my time with Bryston’s Model T, I came to appreciate and understand what James Tanner had set out to accomplish. For all intents and purposes, I believe he has succeeded. The Model T is a balls-to-the-wall, highly capable floorstander that offers tremendous levels of control, dynamic ability, and class-leading bass performance.
I understand that it took a couple of years to build, test, retest, voice and tweak the Model Ts which, with the cooperation of Axiom, was James Tanner’s project. Tanner’s regular (mundane) job is as marketing VIP for Bryston and, I assume, he took a lot of his spare time to bring his baby to fruition. Time well spent James. The result, the way I see it, is an outstanding design that basically gets out of the way of the music (and its playback electronics) and allows one to listen beyond the equipment.