Featuring: Björn Milder
In April 1976, at the age of 74, the legendary swing saxophonist Benny Waters made a momentous appearance at the internationally famous jazzclub Stampen, often known as “The Pawnshop”, in Stockholm.
This CD is a memento of this concert and a wonderful musician. After studying in the early 20´s Benny Waters went on to teach with a degree of success that can be measured by the fact that two of his pupils were Harry Carney and Johnny Hodges. Benny went on to record with a number of bands including among others Clarence Williams, King Oliver and Charlie Johnson.
By the time he moved to Paris in 1952, Benny had in the preceding years been a member of many outstanding bands including Fletcher Henderson, Jimmie Lunceford, Claude Hopkins and Hot Lips Page. Following this he became a freelance soloist for the rest of his career, thus making possible the visits, 13 in all, to Scandinavia and Sweden. Lucky 13 for jazz-lovers!
Worthy of note is the fact that the pianist on this recording is the late, great and unfortunatelythe most “underrecorded” Swedish swing piano player Björn Milder, who was considered by many visiting musicians to be “world class”. And they should know! Includes: Some of these Days, Summertime, Cherokee, Sophisticated Lady, Indiana, Dark Eays, Blues Amore etc.
Listen to music samples
01. Out Of Nowhere (Green - Heyman)
02. Some Of These Days (S. Brooks)
03. Summertime (G. Gershwin - Heyward)
06. Sophisticated Lady (Ellington-Mills-Parish)
01. Out Of Nowhere (Green - Heyman) 4´17
02. Some Of These Days (S. Brooks) 8´12
03. Summertime (G. Gershwin - Heyward) 6´44
04. Ziggin' And A Zaggin' (B. Waters) 5´32
05. Cherokee (R. Noble) 7´03
06. Sophisticated Lady (Ellington-Mills-Parish) 7´20
07. Dark Eyes (Traditional) 8´17
08. I Can't Get Started (V. Duke - J. Gershwin) 4´57
09. Indiana (J.F. Hanley - B. McCDonald) 9´11
10. Blues Amore (B. Waters) 9´35
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Great music and great recordings my favourite after Jazz at the Pawnshop.
Nice album. A must for jazz lovers.